What is Swim Club?
Swim Club is all about community. River don’t care care of themselves, y’all. They rely on good-hearted folks like you and me to care for them… so your favorite swimmin’ holes aren’t full of beer cans, tires, and even… E.coli.
We started Swim Club last summer to get y’all engaged in citizen science, water quality monitoring, and mostly… to celebrate that sometimes you can actually give a little and get a lot… give us $10 and you’ll get some sweet benefits too!
When you join Swim Club, you directly support our Swim Guide program, where we monitor 26 popular swimming areas during the summer to make sure they’re safe for swimmin’, splashin’, wadin’, tubin’, or however you like to enjoy the Coosa. This program benefits hundreds of thousands of Alabamians and is a free service. That’s right, free. It costs us tens of thousands of dollars to deliver this free service to y’all. We feel it’s our duty to give you timely water quality data to inform your weekend plans, but we can’t do it without you… your Swim Club Membership gives families across 5,000 square miles of Alabama, The River State, some peace of mind of where it’s safe to swim in their neck of the woods.
It’s easy to join the club (and just $10), so read below how easy it is for you to jump in + the benefits of being a part of the coolest club!
Here’s the Skinny:
- Buy Swim Club membership for $10, which is about how much one bacteria sample costs for us!
- You’ll immediately be able to download a “social receipt” which is a image file saying you are a bonafide member of Swim Club that you can share on social media – tag us in your post!
- The next available week, we’ll put a label on one of our samples with your name on it… see Cynthia’s sample pic below!
4. We’ll snap a pic of your sample, upload it to social media, and tag you in it!
5. We’ll mail you an envelope with a koozie, a sticker, and a card with your sample’s results written on it. Also, you’ll receive a one year membership to Coosa Riverkeeper!
That’s a lot for us to give you for $10, so the other part of the deal is that you help us out by telling your friends on social media and on the river about Coosa Riverkeeper + Swim Guide! We’ll make it easy to “share” your support!
*Please note, our teams collect the sample that will have your name on it from a pre-determined location. You cannot collect the sample yourself and you cannot choose the sample location. The sample location will be one of 26 our regular Swim Guide sites.*
**Please also note that Swim Club Membership is not tax-deductible. To make a tax-deductible contribution, please add a regular membership donation to your order.**
This post was written by Justinn Overton, our Executive Director