We are seeking an individual with a strong attention to detail, passion for swimmable waters & strong communication skills to manage our Swim Guide Lab. This position will require 20 hours/week & availability is REQUIRED on Thursdays from 9-5.
This internship includes a summer stipend + weekly meal allowance + reimbursement of mileage on vehicle (if sampling or a work related trip). All applications are due by Monday, April 1st. However, interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Training for summer Interns will be held at Camp Cosby, April 12th-13th. YOU MUST ATTEND THIS TRAINING.
- Assisting the Program Manager in running the bacteria lab.
- Coordinating three sampling teams to ensure quality assurance is met with all samples.
- Calibrating field equipment weekly.
- Keeping up with data collected through the summer.
- Participating in outreach events at local restaurants.
- Researching & writing Blog Posts relating to swimmable waters.
- Occasional water sampling.
- Strong attention to detail & organization
- Availability on Thursdays 9-5 throughout the summer.
- SOME availability on week nights.
- Ability to adhere to strict, but simple, Quality Control measures
- Ability to lift and carry cooler full of ice, bend over to collect sample up to 30 times per day, and maintain a steady hand in the lab
- Familiarity with Excel and ability to keep accurate records
- Ability to teach others, strong communication skills.
- Willingness to drive your own car up to 400 miles per week to collect samples (mileage is reimbursed at a rate of approximately $0.54/mile, and typical weekly mileage for the Lead Intern will vary from 0 to 200 miles per week)
- Commitment to the goal of improving water quality through citizen science